These are historical documents therefore they are only supplied in PDF format. If you require a text version please email us at email@example.com.
Objectives of the Department of Agriculture
One of the early strategic reviews of the Department of Agriculture was prepared by Marshall Irving, the then head of the Department. The request came from the Premier for the Director of Agriculture to provide Cabinet with a clear statement of the aims and objectives of his Department.
'The Objectives of the Department of Agriculture' was submitted to the Government at the end of 1971 and can be accessed below:
- Statement on Department Activities 1971-72 ()
- Statement on Future Role of Department - 30 June 1972 ()
The Callaghan Report
The Callaghan Report, which led to the implementation of the regionalisation concept from the mid 1970s, was prepared by Sir Allan Callaghan, a former Director of Agriculture.
A review of the Department of Agriculture in the Light of Changed and Changing Needs (divided into three parts due to file size):
Reported by: Sir Allan R. Callaghan, C.M.G. Adelaide, December 1973.
Department of Agriculture corporate plans
- Planning of Department of Agriculture services for South Australians over the next decade () - SAGRIC 83, October 1982
- Planning of Department of Agriculture services for South Australians () - SAGRIC 84-87, October 1983
- Directions in South Australian Agriculture 1987-89 () - September 1986
- Corporate Directions, 1989-1990 ()
Department of Agriculture booklet
Department of Agriculture - Serving South Australians () - September 1985
Review of Department of Agriculture
In 1991/92, primarily responding to the impacts on SA of the collapse of the State Bank of SA consulting firm, McKinsey and Company were commissioned to undertake a review of the Department of Agriculture's activities and strategies. Summary of findings and recommendations from this 5-month review:
McKinsey and Company, November 1992.
Major Technical Reports
The Agriculture Technical Report Series spanned 1982 to 1992.
Some of the more significant reports have been scanned and are available below. All volumes of the series are available from the Waite Library.
- Agriculture in South Australia () - Technical Report 1, March 1982
- The Role of SAGRIC in Marketing () - Technical Report 16, February 1983
- Agriculture in the South Australian Economy () - Technical Report 25, May 1983
- Review of Research Centres () - Technical Report 32, August 1983
- A Review of the Operation of the Brucellosis and Tuberculosis Campaign in Pastoral Areas of South Australia () - Technical Report 42, January 1984
- Ruminant Industry Research Review () - Technical Report 59, July 1984
- A History of the Agricultural Bureau, Women's Agricultural Bureau and Rural Youth Movement in South Australia 1888 – 1985 () - Technical Report 120, November 1987
- Evaluation of Drains and Weirs in the South East of South Australia () - Technical Report 122, November 1987