Pests cost us all
Pest plants and animals have a huge impact on Australia’s agricultural productivity, costing Australia’s agricultural sector billions of dollars a year. They also have a real impact on farmers’ profits and productivity.
In late 2015, the South Australian Government received more than $1 million in funding to combat established pest plants and animals across South Australia from the Australian Government under its Agricultural Competitiveness White Paper.
The White Paper is the Australian government’s plan for building a more competitive and profitable agricultural sector and represents the government’s commitment to the agricultural sector.
Helping farmers fight pest animals and plants benefits us all. Pest control is everyone’s business.
In South Australia this funding is being used to:
- Develop and hold a series of landholder workshops to help improve landholders’ pest plants and animal knowledge and management skills.
- Stop the spread of invasive perennial grasses and limit the southern expansion of invasive grasses with landholder workshops.
- Promote community action to build on-ground capability and skills of landholders through demonstration sites.
- Provide back to basics training in the fundamentals of pest management for landholders, particularly peri-urban landholders.
- Develop a Lucerne seed industry biosecurity code of practice.
- Develop a better approach to managing feral deer, through community survey and review of the State Deer Management Plan.
The Pests Cost Us all projects is being delivered by PIRSA in collaboration with the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources (DEWNR) and the eight Natural Resources Management Boards (NRM).
Please also visit the Natural Resources Management Boards’ websites for regional information.
- Tuesday 14 March. Napperby: Napperby Tennis Club 12.30pm – 4pm
- Wednesday 15 March. Orroroo: Blacksmiths Chatter 9.30am – 1.30pm
- Thursday 16 March. Quorn: Quorn Bowls Club 9.30am – 1.30pm
Kate Pearce, Natural Resources and Yorke Community Team Leader
Phone: (08) 8658 1086
Mobile: 0429 362 002
For more information on the Pests Cost Us All project contact:
Leah Feuerherdt, PIRSA - Pest Management Consultant
Phone: (08) 8429 0374