Improving Road Transport for the Agriculture Industry Project
The Improving Road Transport for the Agriculture Industry Project was initiated by Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA), Primary Producers SA (PPSA) and the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) after it was recognised a partnership approach in planning a road transport system that meets the existing and the future needs of the State’s primary industries was needed.
The project aims to:
- address road transport limitations and restrictions
- improve the relevant regulations and decision making processes
- undertake minor capital and infrastructure works.
Primary producers, transport operators, local government, Regional Development Australia groups and other key stakeholders were asked to complete a survey that looked at 3 key issues:
- The movement of agricultural machinery on public roads
- Route extension and allowable trailer combinations
- Short distance or ‘last mile’ access to properties and facilities.
Opening up the road access network to agricultural vehicles has the potential to increase the safe transport of agricultural produce moved whilst creating less road wear, costing operators and other businesses.
This project supports the South Australian Government’s Economic priority ‘Premium food and wine produced in our clean environment and exported to the world’, by simplifying and modernising the regulatory arrangements to support innovation and job creation.
This is one of PIRSA’s many Change@SouthAustralia projects.
- A modern transport system for agriculture – a new partnership approach report ()
- SA projects completed webmap ()
- State Government finding solutions to agricultural transport issues - media release 31 March 2016
- Night movement allowed for oversize agricultural vehicles - media release 10 August 2016
- Jamestown Saleyards: 26m B Double & 36.5m Road Train access to the Jamestown Saleyards.
- Quad Roadtrains: BAB and ABB Quad Road Train access on the 53.5m Road Train network.
- Tri-axle Dollies: Use of tri-axle dollies on Road Train combinations in the 36.5m and 53.5m network.
- Viterra site - Kapunda: Upgrade access to the Viterra grains site at Kapunda from GML 19 metre semi-trailer to HML 19 metre semi-trailer.
- Viterra - YongolaUpgrade: access to the Viterra grains site at-Yongala from GML 36.5 metre Double Road Train to HML 36.5 m Road Train.
- Seppeltfield: Approved missing link between Seppeltsfield Road and Samuel Rd, Seppeltsfield to permit B- double HML heavy vehicles.
- Viterrra - Orroroo: Upgrade access to the Viterra grains site at Orroroo from GML 26 metre B-double heavy vehicles to HML 26m B-double heavy vehicles.
- Viterra - Robertson: Permit B-double access to the Robertstown Viterra site.
- Viterra - Two Wells: Extend 36.5 metre road train access from the intersection of Pt Wakefield Hwy & Middle Beach Rd, Port Wakefield to the Viterra grain site at Two Wells.
- Pt Adelaide - Kapunda: upgrade to PBSUpgrade access between Port Adelaide and Perry Rd Kapunda to allow A Double and B-double (PBS) heavy vehicle access.
- James Congdon Drive: Upgrade James Congdon drive, Port Rd and Railway Tce, James Congdon Drv, Port Road to allow B-double access.
- Roseworthy speed Limit - 60 km/h: Extend the 60km/h speed zone north on the Horrocks Hwy past the Roseworthy Viterra bunker site entrance.
- Road trains to Roseworthy Viterra: Permit 36.5m Road Trains from Roseworthy Viterra bunker site to Port Adelaide.
- Viterra - Saddleworth: Upgrade access to the Viterra grain site at Saddleworth from HML 19 metres to HML 26 metre B-double.
- Viterra Cungena: Upgrade access to the Viterra grains site at Cungena near Streaky Bay from 19 metre GML Single semi-trailer to 36.5 metre HML Road train.
- Viterra Poochera: Upgrade access to the Viterra grains site at Poochera, near Streaky Bay from 19 metre GML semi-trailer to 36.5 metre HML Road train.
- Viterra Kyancutta: Extend 36.5 metre HML Road train access from the intersection of Eyre Hwy & Museum Tce to the weighbridge entrance at the intersection of Museum Tce & Bedford Rd Kyancutta.
- Viterra Kimba: Upgrade access to the Viterra grains site at Kimba from 19 metre GML semi-trailer to 36.5m HML Road train.
- Viterra Yeelanna: Extend 36.5 metre HML Road train access from the intersection of the Todd Hwy & Railway to the Viterra grain site Yeelanna,
- Viterra Ardrossan: Upgrade access to the Viterra grain site at Ardrossan from HML 26m B-double to HML 36.5metre Road train.
- Ardrossan: Approved missing link between Maitland and Ardrossan to permit B-double heavy vehicles access to Maitland Rd, Ardrossan.
- Burma Rd Permit B-double heavy vehicle access to the Main North Rd Slip lane, Corner of Main North Rd and Burma Rd.
- Viterra Jamestown: Upgrade access to the Viterra grains site at Jamestown from 19 metre HML semi-trailer to 26 metre HML B-double heavy vehicle.
- Viterra Wunkar: Upgrade access to the Viterra grain site at Wunkar from GML 26 metre B-double to HML 26 metre B-double.
- Cypress Tce Murray Bridge: Upgrade Cypress Tce Murray Bridge to permit access to HML 19 metre heavy vehicles.
- Viterra Monarto: Upgrade access to the Viterra grains site at Monarto South from GML 26 metre B-double to HML 26 metre B-double.
- Viterra Meribah: Upgrade access to the Viterra grain site at Meribah via Loxton from GML 26 metre B-double HML 26 metre B-double.
- Viterra Peebinga: Upgrade access to the Viterra grains site at Peebinga via Loxton from GML 26 metre B-double heavy vehicles to HML 26 metre B-double heavy vehicles.
- Elder-Smith Drive: Approved missing link between Salisbury Hwy and Maxwell Rd and removel of turn restrictions at Main Norht Rd for HML 26m B Double Access - B Double access to the Food Park.
- Carslake Road: Upgrade Carslake Road, Dublin to 36.5m HML.