Extensive feedback from community and industry helped shape the Premium Food and Wine from our Clean Environment Action Plan.
The plan details activities to address opportunities and challenges in our food and wine sectors.
Why focus on food and wine?Food and wine are central to South Australia’s identity and crucial to our prosperity.
- In 2013-14, the agriculture, food and wine industries contributed $17.1 billion to the economy, employed 1 in 5 workers, and accounted for more than 40% of our merchandise exports.
- South Australia’s food and wine are premium in quality and produced in clean water, clean air and clean soil.
- We are the only mainland state in Australia that is fruit fly free and the only Australian state where commercial cultivation of genetically modified food crops is prohibited.
- We are one of the few places in the world that is free of the grape vine destroying pest phylloxera, and produce almost 80% of Australia’s premium wine from some of the oldest vines in the world, so it’s no surprise that we’re known as the nation’s wine capital.
- These factors, along with our strong reputation for food safety and product integrity, provide South Australia with a significant competitive advantage in global markets.
Food and wine is a global growth area.
- Demand for food is expected to increase by 70% by 2050.
- The fastest growing markets will be in Asia.
- South Australia’s advantages and established relationships in the region position SA to take advantage of this rising demand.
- Growth will also see benefits for tourism, manufacturing and regional development.
Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA) are supporting the development of the agriculture, food and wine sectors through:
- policy leadership
- practical expertise
- supporting industries and regions
- encouraging investment
- facilitating market access.
- The Action Plan () has 3 key themes; build our brand, grow our capability, and secure production.
- Projects and Milestones () arising from the Action Plan.
- The 2013 Discussion Paper () introduced the Premium Food and Wine from our Clean Environment strategic priority, and invited community and industry engagement.
- The industry and public Feedback Summary () in response to the discussion paper.