Crop and pasture reports
Primary Industries and Regions South Australia (PIRSA) publishes a report on the condition of Crops and Pastures in South Australia every second month. During the cropping season estimates of the area and production for each crop and district are also provided with the report. The report is assembled by regionally based consultants. Visit Rural Solutions SA.
The estimates are quality checked from a number of sources. Occasionally adjustments are made. The table in the current report has the updated estimates which may vary slightly from tables in previous year's reports on this site.
- The final report for 2016-17 confirms the new record grain production for South Australia
- Production was 11.1 million tonnes from 3.9 million ha of crop, worth $2.2 billion at the farm gate.
- Record yields and production for several crops most notably wheat and lentils.
- As crops were harvested it was found the ideal weather during spring boosted yields more than expected.
- Rains during harvest caused delays but overall had minimal effect on grain quality except for lower grain protein.
- Grain harvest finished during February was one of the latest finishes in many years, due to the record yields and weather delays.
Crop reporting districts map
Crop estimates for a season are provided commencing with the Seeding and Crop Establishment Report. Estimates are based on the districts defined in the following map.
2016-17 season reports
2015-16 season reports
2015-16 Summary and Final Estimates ()
2015-16 Harvest Summary ()
2015-16 Spring Crop Performance ()
2015-16 Winter Crop Performance ()
2015-16 Seeding Intentions and Crop Establishment ()
2015-16 Crop Seeding Intentions ()
2014-15 season reports
2014-15 Crop performance summary and final crop estimates ()
2014-15 Harvest Summary ( or )
2014-15 Spring Crop Performance ()
2014-15 Winter Crop Performance ()
2014-15 Crop Establishment ()
2014-15 Crop Seeding Intentions ()
See more agricultural reports and newsletters.
For historical reports contact:
Grains Account Manager, Agriculture Food and Wine Division
Phone: 8429 0472
Mobile: 0409 289 107