Crop and pasture reports
Primary Industries and Regions South Australia (PIRSA) publishes a report on the condition of Crops and Pastures in South Australia every second month. During the cropping season estimates of the area and production for each crop and district are also provided with the report. The report is assembled by regionally based consultants. Visit Rural Solutions SA.
The estimates are quality checked from a number of sources. Occasionally adjustments are made. The table in the current report has the updated estimates which may vary slightly from tables in previous year's reports on this site.
- The estimate of crop production for 2016-17 exceeds the record set in 2010-11.
- This crop may break a number of records for several crops.
- Crop harvest is now slowly underway; it is late starting due to the cool spring.
- Severe weather late in September caused isolated damage from hail, severe winds and floods, but on balance the weather provided significant benefits to the rest of the crop.
- Reports of lodged (pushed over) crops - worst affected barley - will slow harvest rates, but not greatly impact yields.
- More severe storms on 11 November also damaged crops in parts of northern agriculture districts and Murray Mallee.
- Losses from the storms are being assessed and the crop estimate will be reviewed with the next report in January 2017, but at this stage losses are not believed to be sufficient for this crop not to be a record.
- Russian wheat aphid impacts were minimised by weather, control treatments and beneficial insects.
- Foliar diseases of pulses proved to be difficult to control in the wet spring, but potential yields remain high.
Crop reporting districts map
Crop estimates for a season are provided commencing with the Seeding and Crop Establishment Report. Estimates are based on the districts defined in the following map.
2016-17 season reports
2015-16 season reports
2015-16 Summary and Final Estimates ()
2015-16 Harvest Summary ()
2015-16 Spring Crop Performance ()
2015-16 Winter Crop Performance ()
2015-16 Seeding Intentions and Crop Establishment ()
2015-16 Crop Seeding Intentions ()
2014-15 season reports
2014-15 Crop performance summary and final crop estimates ()
2014-15 Harvest Summary ( or )
2014-15 Spring Crop Performance ()
2014-15 Winter Crop Performance ()
2014-15 Crop Establishment ()
2014-15 Crop Seeding Intentions ()
See more agricultural reports and newsletters.
For historical reports contact:
Grains Account Manager, Agriculture Food and Wine Division
Phone: 8429 0472
Mobile: 0409 289 107