All sheep owners in South Australia contribute $0.55 per head to the Sheep Industry Fund when 5 or more sheep are sold for $5 per head or more.
The Minister for Primary Industries and Regional Development is the administrator of the Sheep Industry Fund. The South Australian Sheep Advisory Group makes recommendations to the minister on spending priorities for the Fund.
Contributing to the fund
The sheep seller is responsible for paying contributions to the Fund unless a collection agent is involved.
Collection agents include:
- stock agents
Collection agents are responsible for contributing to the fund when they are involved in a sale.
Sheep vendors must confirm that the collection agent has made a contribution as they may become ineligible to take part in programs sponsored by the Sheep Industry Fund if the contribution has not been forwarded.
Use of funds
The Sheep Industry Fund is used for:
- Controlling diseases:
- Implementation of the National Livestock Identification System – Sheep and Goats program.
- Maintaining the dog fence.
- Supporting the Biteback wild dog program south of the Dog Fence.
- The Enhanced Abattoir Surveillance Program.
- Supporting the operation of Livestock SA.
- Producer and allied industry education programs, including SheepConnect.
- Researching farm issues.
More information about Sheep Industry Fund projects.
How to access the fund
Expressions of interest for new projects are sought annually in January/February through the Stock Journal. Expressions are assessed by South Australian Sheep Advisory Group in March. Shortlisted expression of interest applicants will be notified and requested to complete and return a full funding application for assessment in May.
Small projects requesting less than $10,000 can be applied for at any time. These projects can last up to 1 year. Use the Sheep Industry Fund application form () to apply.
For more information or to submit applications contact:
SASAG Project Officer
SA Sheep Industry Fund
PIRSA Biosecurity SA
33 Flemington Street
Glenside, SA 5065
Requests can be made to the Minister for Agriculture, Food and Fisheries for a refund of contributions. Refunds can only be requested from the preceding financial year.
To request a refund:
- provide documentary evidence that a contribution was paid, you can use account sales dockets
- complete a Request for Refund form ().
You are not entitled to any service or benefit from the fund for 2 years if you receive a refund.
- Sheep Industry Fund – Producer direct contribution form ()
- Sheep Industry Fund – Agent contribution form ()