Applying for a role
Your application must include:
- a cover letter outlining your relevant skills and experience
- your responses to the capabilities (as requested in the advertisement)
- your CV (include contact details for 3 current referees)
- a completed and signed Pre-Employment Declaration Form ().
Capabilities in the role description
- Address each capability (unless stated otherwise in the advertisement).
- Give evidence showing you have the skills and experience for the role.
- Give examples of times you have demonstrated that capability.
The CARE Model
The CARE model can assist you structure your:
- responses to the capabilities
- prepare for an interview.
It allows you to present a clear structured response:
- Context - the situation.
- Actions - what you did.
- Results - what was achieved.
- Evaluation – what you learned.
When presenting your responses remember to talk about your experiences and achievements, use the word ‘I’ when identifying responsibility and outcomes, if you were part of a team explain your role in the team.
Tips for writing your application
- Research the role and department.
- If written communication skills are a capability, the selection panel will treat your application as an example of this skill.
- Check your application for spelling and grammatical errors.
- Ask someone else to proof-read your application. Do they think you’ve addressed each capability well?
- Contact the enquiries officer listed in the advertisement if you have questions about the role.
- Follow the advertisement directions in relation to length of the application
After you submit your application
- We will send you a letter of acknowledgment.
- The selection panel will assess applications and short-list applicants.
- The panel will invite short-listed applicants to an interview.
- The panel will give their recommendation to the executive director for approval.
- We will notify all applicants of the outcome.
We can give you feedback about your application. If you would like to receive feedback please contact the panel chairperson.
About your application
- All applications are confidential.
- Time taken for the selection process can vary and may take up to 6 weeks.
- Any contact made with your referees is confidential.