What PIRSA does
Primary Industries and Regions SA fruit fly strategy
PIRSA protects South Australia from fruit fly by:
- controlling fruit and fruiting vegetable movements
- overseeing interstate movement of produce in accordance with each state’s entry requirements
- monitoring for fruit fly statewide
- working with the public to identify and report suspected maggots in fruit
- investing in research and technology
- eradicating fruit fly outbreaks.
South Australia remains under threat from a large number of fruit fly outbreaks interstate, so it is vital that prevention, detection and eradication measures continue.