Financial support after a bushfire

Emergency Response in Primary Industries Grant

Bushfire-affected primary producers in South Australia can now access a grant to help with the recovery process and getting back to business.

The recovery grant can be used to help with the cost of:

  • clean-up activities
  • reinstatement activities
  • emergency measures to assist with immediate recovery of primary production enterprises.

Grants available for primary producers

The Australian Government has Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA). It provides financial help in the form of grants to states and territories.

Eligible primary producers can now access grants of up to $75,000. Applicants who have previously applied for a grant may apply for additional amounts up to the maximum $75,000.

Before you apply

Before you start your application, please read the grant guidelines (PDF 391.8 KB) to know the latest information.

Applications are open to primary producers in local government areas of:

  • Adelaide Hills
  • Coorong
  • Kangaroo Island
  • Kingston
  • Murray Bridge
  • Mount Barker
  • Mid Murray
  • Southern Mallee
  • Yorke Peninsula.

Applying for a recovery grant

Download and complete the Bushfire recovery grant application form (DOCX 79.5 KB).

Applications must be submitted together with all supporting documentation by 31 July 2020.

Submit your application via 1 of the following ways:



Bushfire Recovery Grant
PIRSA – Rural Solutions SA
GPO Box 1671
Adelaide SA 5001

Postmark cannot be later than 5.00pm (ACST) 31 July 2020.

Visiting a PIRSA office

Level 14, 25 Grenfell Street, Adelaide

155 Main North Road, Clare

1801 Bookpurnong Road, Loxton

Murray Bridge
Bremer Road, Murray Bridge

Kangaroo Island
Shop 7, The Mall
56 Dauncey Street, Kingscote

Parndana Bushfire Recovery Centre
Community Health Centre
12 Jubilee Avenue

571 Research Road, Nuriootpa

Mount Gambier
7–9 Krummel Street, Mount Gambier

74 Struan House Road, Struan

Lobethal Recovery Centre
Fabrik Arts & Heritage Building
1 Lobethal Road, Lobethal

Concessional loans

Concessional loans of up to $500,000 are available to South Australian primary producers, small businesses and non-profit organisations affected by the recent South Australian bushfires. These loans can be used to restore and/or replace damaged assets or meet working capital expenses.

Visit for the guidelines and application form.

For questions or assistance, please contact the South Australian Government Financing Authority (SAFA):

Recovery grants FAQ

What is the closing date for applications?

31 July 2020.

If you are mailing your application, it must be postmarked on or before 5.00 pm (ACST) 31 July 2020.

What is a primary producer?

A primary producer is a person or company that gets most income from primary production, such as:

  • agriculture
    • aquaculture
    • horticulture
    • viticulture
  • fisheries
  • hunting or trapping
  • private forestry
  • apiary.

The full definition of a primary producer and primary production enterprise for the purpose of the Emergency Response in Primary Industries Grant, can be found in Section 7 of the grant guidelines (PDF 391.8 KB).

How will the grant be assessed?

All applications will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Applications will be assessed against the eligibility criteria outlined in the grant guidelines (PDF 391.8 KB). Please make sure you have read and understood the grant guidelines before submitting your application.

PIRSA’s grants assessment team understand that some cases may be more complex than others. Where required, additional information or evidence may be requested during the assessment process. We will contact you if more information is required.

How is the off-farm income eligibility requirements applied?

All applications will be assessed on a case by case basis.

If you are unsure about your eligibility due to your current off-farm income, you are still encouraged to apply. Complex cases will be considered.

For more information see section 4.3 of the eligibility criteria in the grant guidelines (PDF 391.8 KB).

Do I need to provide invoices as part of my application?

No, we do not need invoices to process your application. You can provide quotes or an estimate of costs if you have them.

How many photos are required for evidence?

One or two photos for each category (e.g. fencing) is sufficient.

What activities will not be funded under the Emergency Response in Primary Industries Grant?

You cannot make a claim for any of the activities below:

  • Loss of income.
  • Non-business related activities including:
    • costs associated with emergency housing
    • repair and replacement of housing and personal effects.
  • Your own labour, and the cost of operating your own equipment. However purchase of equipment to undertake clean-up is eligible.
  • Costs where you are entitled to receive a payment under an insurance policy. However you may be eligible for a grant for:
    • costs that are not covered by insurance
    • or costs in excess of the value insured.
  • Any works or activities that you have committed to prior to August 2019.

My crop cannot be sold or used due to fire damage. Can the clean up of this crop be claimed?

Yes, the cost of disposing of and cleaning up your damaged crop can be claimed.

Can the owner of a property and the lessee of a property both apply for the grant?

No, there is only 1 grant per property. Either the owner or the Lessee can apply.

If I have multiple properties operating as separate businesses that have been affected by bushfire, can I apply for each affected property?

Yes, but only if you can prove that these properties represent separate businesses (an enterprise that would be commercially viable if all other enterprises operated by you ceased to operate). See section 5 of the grant guidelines (PDF 391.8 KB) for more information.

What if there are multiple properties related to a single ABN?

You may be eligible to apply for multiple grants, if you can prove that each property represents a separate business. See section 5 of the grant guidelines (PDF 391.8 KB) for more information.

I’m not sure exactly what my costs will be for my grant activity. Can I still apply?

Yes, please complete your application and include your best conservative cost estimate. If your final cost is higher than your estimate, you can submit a future claim as long as you haven’t exceeded the $75,000 limit, or closing date.

I need to transport livestock to be agisted on another property. Are these costs eligible for grant funding?


Can I submit more than one application?

Yes. As long as you don’t exceed the $75,000 limit in total, more than one application can be submitted. This approach can suit producers wishing to make claims in stages.

Do I need to submit an extra application if I’ve previously accessed the initial $15,000 grant, or payment from this grant?

Yes, we require an application form to assess every claim. As we have most of your details please contact the recovery hotline for a revised application form.

PIRSA Recovery Hotline – 1800 931 314

Is purchase of equipment eligible?

Yes, hiring, leasing or purchasing equipment to undertake clean-up is eligible.

Are bee producers eligible?

Yes, bee producers are eligible for:

  • beehives, nucleus hives, beehive hardware (e.g. timber boxes) that were damaged or destroyed.
  • costs for transportation of bees– this includes travel nets that are used to confine bees for transportation.
  • feeders and bee food (e.g. protein feed).

Can I apply for the Emergency Response in Primary Industries Grant and On Farm Emergency Water Infrastructure Rebate Scheme?

You may be eligible to apply for both however please call the PIRSA Recovery Hotline – 1800 931 314 to discuss your situation.

I don't have a copy of my council rates and electricity bill because they were destroyed. What do I do?

You can include any bill as long as it shows the property address (not a PO box or other postal address).

My crop has been affected by fire, or test results have come back with high levels of smoke exposure. Am I eligible to apply for the Emergency Response in Primary Industries Grant?

If your crop is not commercially viable due to fire damage, the cost of clean-up or salvaging your crops and transporting to a licenced EPA facility may be eligible under the Emergency Response in Primary Industries Grant. You can apply for up to $75,000 to help with clean-up costs.

More Information

For information on small business grants and concessional loans for businesses recovering from bushfire, please visit

Page Last Reviewed: 17 Feb 2020
Top of page