- PIRSA has a 24-hour number – 1800 255 556 – available for any primary producer and animal owner seeking urgent assistance and information.
- PIRSA have animal health staff available to assist with the assessment of injured and burnt livestock.
- Livestock producers and owners requiring assistance with agistment, fodder and water supplies and landowners wishing to donate emergency fodder are advised to contact Livestock SA on 8297 2299.
- For assistance with injured and stray wildlife and companion animals please call SAVEM (South Australian Veterinary Emergency Management) – 0477 055 233.
The section has information for farmers about:
- reducing bushfire risk
- livestock safety during bushfires
- viticulture and horticulture
- recovering after bushfires
- 2019/20 Bushfire Recovery Grant for Primary Producers
- disposal of dead animals in a prompt and environmentally safe manner - EPA fact sheet: On farm disposal of animal carcasses
PIRSA can provide assistance to farmers and producers affected by bushfires.
We can help:
- assess burnt livestock
- advise on how to access veterinary services
- assist with euthanasia of severely burned livestock on welfare grounds
- locate livestock
- inspect livestock
- provide advice on disposal options for deceased livestock
- coordinate emergency fodder, water and fencing through Livestock SA
- coordinate recovery measures.
Call your local Biosecurity SA office if you need assistance recovering from a bushfire.
Regional office contacts
- Clare: (08) 8842 6222
- Glenside: (08) 8207 7900
- Kingscote: (08) 8553 4949
- Mount Gambier: (08) 8735 1300
- Murray Bridge: (08) 8539 2112
- Nuriootpa: (08) 8568 6400
- Port Augusta: (08) 8648 5160
- Port Lincoln: (08) 8688 3400
- Struan: (08) 8762 9100