Lake George, near Beachport on the Limestone Coast, is the only area in the State where open access to the use of recreational mesh nets is still permitted.
Recreational mesh nets must be registered annually. Mesh net registrations accepted year round and expire on 30 June each year.
There is no limit to the total number of registrations that can be granted.
The following conditions apply:
- You must be over 15 years of age.
- Only 1 net can be registered per person.
- A net can only be operated by the registration holder.
- Registration must be renewed each year.
- You must pay the correct fee at the time of application.
- Netting is only permitted in the central and northern lagoons of Lake George. The southern lagoon and all other waters feeding into Lake George are closed to netting.
The Lake George Mesh Net information sheet ( or ) has detailed information on:
- area closures
- net registrations
- permitted device
- rules and regulations
How to apply for net registration
You can choose how to apply for your net registration:
Option 1 - online form
Option 2 - PDF form
Return the completed form by:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- post: GPO Box 1625, ADELAIDE SA 5001
- Only MasterCard and Visa credit cards can be accepted for payment.
Allow 7 working days for the processing and delivery of your registration.
If you are unsure about the success of your application contact Fisheries Licensing on (08) 8204 1370.
Option 3 - Fisheries office
Go to the PIRSA Fisheries offices at:
- Adelaide: Level 14, 25 Grenfell Street, Adelaide
- Mount Gambier: 7-9 Krummel Street, Mount Gambier
to complete a registration form and pay the registration fee.
Renewing net registration
Recreational Lake George mesh net registration holders will be sent a renewal application before 30 June each year.
If you are unable to renew your registration for that year you will need to re-apply using one of the options above.
Renewal applications will be accompanied with a tax invoice. Payment methods are detailed on the tax invoice.
Mesh net registration pack
When you have successfully registered or renewed your registration you will receive a:
- registration certificate that expires 30 June each year
- Lake George mesh net information sheet
- registration tag for mesh net.
If you lose a tag:
- immediately remove the net from the water
- report the loss to Fishwatch on 1800 065 522
- fill in the Application for a Replacement Lake George Mesh Net Tag or PDF version (), or request a form be sent to you from Fisheries Licensing.
There is a fee for the replacement of a mesh net tag.
PIRSA Fisheries Licensing
Office hours: 8.45 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday
Phone: (08) 8204 1370
Fax: (08) 8204 1388