Limiting the numbers of fish that can be taken makes sure enough fish remain in the water to reproduce. Laws and regulations apply to numbers of fish that commercial and recreational fishers can take.
The Fisheries Management Act 2007 and Regulations have all of the laws controlling fishing activities.
Rules and regulations for fishing are based on ecological and biological knowledge of fish stocks and the environment.
The rules and regulations set:
- catch limits for individuals and boats
- legal size limits
- total or seasonal closure of some areas to fishing
- restrictions on number and type of gear that can be used for fishing
- rules about registering rock lobster pots and mesh nets.
Contact any of the following if you are not sure about the rules that apply to fishing in South Australia:
- Fishwatch on 1800 065 522, free call 24 hours
- Fisheries Licensing on (08) 8204 1370 during office hours for questions about registering recreational rock lobster pots or mesh nets
- your local Fisheries Office.