You cannot fish for Snapper in South Australia without a Recreational Snapper tag. All Snapper tags have been allocated for the 2020 season.
Snapper tag holders can only target Snapper in South East waters () from 1 February to 31 October 2020.
Using your Snapper tags
- You cannot fish for Snapper in South Australia without a Recreational Snapper tag.
- Tag recipients must be present at all times when fishing for Snapper.
- You must carry a release weight when targeting Snapper.
- You must immediately attach a tag to legal sized Snapper (38cm or more) once it has been caught.
- Unintentionally caught or undersized Snapper must be immediately returned to the water using a release weight.
- You must stop fishing for Snapper as soon as your issued tags have been used.
- Catch and release fishing that targets Snapper is prohibited at all times.
- You cannot transit through a Snapper closure area if you have Snapper on board your vessel.
- Recreational Snapper tags are not permitted to be transferred.
- Tags are colour-coded with a unique number. They can only be used in the 2020 season.
Reporting your catch
How Snapper tags were allocated in 2020
A ballot system was used to allocate a limited number of tags to recreational fishers who applied to target Snapper in the South East region.
Tags were issued in two allocations:
- The first allocation of 50% was released at random to residents applying from the South East. See map of applicable post codes ().
- The second allocation of 50% was released at random to residents applying from South Australia (excluding the South East).
An Independent panel that included members of the Snapper Management Advisory Committee oversaw the ballot for recreational Snapper tags.
Unsuccessful applicants were notified via email on Friday 24 January 2020.
Successful applicants were notified via email, and posted a tag pack with information. If you were successful in the ballot and have not received your Snapper tags, please contact PIRSA Fisheries & Aquaculture.
PIRSA Fisheries & Aquaculture
Phone: (08) 8204 1370