Reporting chemical misuse
Recording chemical misuse information helps understand the problem and informs policy and guidelines.
All information is confidential.
Chemical misuse includes:
- chemical residue violations
- spray drift to other crops, native vegetation, waterways and populated areas
- off-target poisoning of animals
- contamination of native vegetation or waterways.
Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals Hotline
Phone: 1300 799 684
We will take a brief report by phone.
You will then need to provide, where possible, the details in writing and include:
- Your name and contact details.
- Date, time, location of the incident.
- Name of the product used and its effects.
- Name of the person or company using or applying the chemical.
- How the chemical was applied e.g. boom sprayer, plane.
- Weather conditions at the time e.g. wind conditions, temperature, humidity.
- Names of any witnesses and their contact details.
- Supporting evidence e.g. photos, videos.
- Effects, symptoms or damage caused by the incident.
We will assess the complaint and investigate if necessary.
Depending on the information obtained and the outcome of our investigations we will do one or more of the following.
Take no action
- The report was unconfirmed or trivial.
- The user has followed appropriate instructions as per label and regulations.
- It was a minor incident.
- Where evidence cannot be found to support an offence
Communicate and educate
- Assist with communication between neighbours.
- Meet with chemical applicators and provide education.
- Use local chemical liaison committees.
- Meet with professional or industry associations.
Refer the incident to another agency or conduct a joint investigation
- Environment Protection Authority for environmental incidents.
- Health for incidents involving licensed contractors.
- SafeWork SA for transport and on-farm storage.
Take regulatory measures
- Send advisory or warning letter.
- Issue a compliance order.
We do not carry out investigations to assist compensation claims for damage.
Compensation claims for damages caused by chemical misuse must be made through civil action.
Phone: 1300 799 684