Landbased licence holder responsibilities

1. Payment of fees

All invoices must be paid 30 days from when they are issued unless the Minister has approved instalment options for payment.

There are 4 instalment options for annual lease or licence fees if it covers a 12 month period:

  1. 30 days from the date of the invoice
  2. 120 days from the date of the invoice
  3. 210 days from the date of the invoice
  4. 300 days from the date of the invoice.

Other instalment options are given for annual fees covering less than 12 months.

See the application fees for aquaculture leases and licences

See the annual fees for aquaculture leases and licences.

2. Moving stock within and outside SA

Aquaculture stock that has been:

  • reared in a hatchery
  • taken in waters

outside South Australia must not enter the State unless prior approval has been given by the Minister. See Section 6 (1) of the Livestock (Restrictions on Entry of Aquaculture Stock) Notice 2008 for more information.

Check with the Department of Primary Industries and Regions (PIRSA) before getting stock to make sure the risk of disease has been minimised.

Unauthorised movements can result in a breach of South Australian legislation and could result in fines up to $20,000 or a cancellation of your licence.

3. Chemical use

Aquaculture licence holders are not permitted to use hormones or veterinary chemicals on aquaculture sites except:

Chemicals must be used according to the permit or label instructions. Following instructions will make sure the environmental and food safety assessments made by the Australian Pesticide and Veterinary Medicine Authority are valid for the specific use.

Failure to comply may result in a penalty of up to $5,000.

4. Production returns

It is mandatory that landbased aquaculture licence holders submit a production return for each financial year by 31 August every year under regulation 14 of the Aquaculture Regulations 2005. Production returns will be sent to all licence holders in July each year.

Production returns must be completed and returned to PIRSA Fishery and Aquaculture even if there has been no activity on the licensed site. All data is confidential.

Information in production returns is used to study the economic performance and ecological sustainability of the industry.

Fines and penalties may occur for failing to submit a production return.

5. Environmental Monitoring Program

Aquaculture licence holders must submit and Environmental Monitoring Program Report to PIRSA Fisheries and Aquaculture. Blank reports will be sent to all licence holders in July each year. Licence holders complete the blank reports and return them to PIRSA Fisheries and Aquaculture.

The blank reports have been designed to collect information about:

  • water discharge and quality
  • species farmed
  • feed inputs
  • disease incidents
  • chemical use.

Information from the reports is used to regulate the aquaculture industry and protect the environment.

Fines and penalties may occur for failing to complete and return an Environmental Monitoring Program report.

6. Referral to other agencies

You may be required to seek approvals from other local and state governments before receiving an aquaculture licence.

This may include:

  • Local council if you need development approval for building infrastructure or clearing land.
  • Department of Environment Water and Natural Resources if you need to source water.
  • Native Vegetation Council if you want to clear native vegetation.
  • The Australian Government Department of the Environment if the activity will have, or is likely to have a significant impact on a matter of national environmental significance.
Page Last Reviewed: 16 Aug 2017
Top of page