Using poison baits in SA
When using poison baits it is a legal requirement under the Agricultural and Veterinary Products (Control of Use) Act 2002 to:
- use bait products that are registered for use in South Australia
- follow product label instructions and Directions for Use
- not possess or use 'home-made' baits.
Baiting with 1080 and PAPP poison
Land managers can control some pest animals on their property using:
- 1080 (sodium fluoroacetate) baits
- 1080 capsules for Canid Pest Ejectors
- PAPP (para-aminopropiophenone) baits.
1080 poison baits can be used for:
- feral foxes
- wild dogs
- wild rabbits
- feral pigs.
PAPP poison baits can be used for:
- feral foxes
- wild dogs
- feral cats.
How to order and collect 1080 and PAPP baits
Contact your Landscape South Australia (LSA) Board for information on how to get, store and use 1080 or PAPP baits on your property.
Landholders and managers are reminded that they will have to sign an Approval to Possess 1080 and PAPP Bait form when they collect baits from their local LSA officer.
If you can't collect baits in person, you must nominate a collecting agent and fill out an Approval for Nominated Agent to Collect form (). The agent must bring this completed form with them to collect the baits.
Notify neighbours before using poison baits
You must notify all neighbours before using any poison baits on a property.
Neighbour notification letter templates are available for:
All notifications must be recorded on a Neighbour notification record sheet ( or ) and kept for 2 years.
How to use poison baits safely for each pest animal
Always follow the Directions for Use and read the Safety Data Sheet.
Pest bird bait safety
For information on poison for bird control, contact a licensed pest controller.
Feral cat bait safety
There is currently one poison registered in South Australia for the control of feral cats. PIRSA is collaborating with agencies throughout Australia to nationally register a second poison bait for this purpose.
Curiosity PAPP cat bait:
Feral fox bait safety
1080 bait for foxes:
- Safety Data Sheet – 1080 for fox control. ()
- Directions for Use – 1080 for fox control ()
- Label – 1080 bait for fox control. ()
Canid Pest Ejector 1080 fox capsules:
FOXECUTE (PAPP) fox bait:
Mice bait safety
There are a number of registered bait products available to control mice. Contact your local chemical retailer for advice on the right product for your circumstances.
Wild dog bait safety
1080 bait for wild dog:
- Label – 1080 for wild dog control ()
- Directions for Use – 1080 for wild dog control ()
- Safety Data Sheet – 1080 for wild dog control ()
Canid Pest Ejector 1080 wild dog capsules:
- Label and Directions for Use – 1080 wild dog capsules ()
- Safety Data Sheet – 1080 wild dog capsules ()
DOGABAIT (PAPP) wild dog bait:
The use of strychnine is mandatory in trapping wild dogs but requires a licence. Licences can be applied for through SA Health.
For more information, contact your local Landscape SA Board.
Wild rabbit bait safety
1080 bait for rabbits:
- Label – 1080 for rabbit control ()
- Directions for Use – 1080 for rabbit control ()
- Safety Data Sheet – 1080 for rabbit control ()
Feral pig bait safety
1080 bait for pigs:
Contact your Landscape SA Board for information on how to get, store and use 1080 or PAPP baits on your property.