Bees must be kept in a frame-hive that meets the requirements below:
- The hive must have a removable lid to make moving bees easy.
- The box must be fitted with movable frames supported inside the box so they can stand on edge in a vertical position:
- at least 6 millimeters
- no more than 20 millimeters between adjacent frames.
- have a flat sheet of foundation at its centre
- be separated from all inner surfaces of the box and any other movable frame place above it by at least 8mm
- be placed inside the box so it can be easily removed for inspection.
Apiarists must not expose:
- apiary products
to open air where bees may have access to them.
Clean water with suitable mineral content must be available within 200 metres of the hive.
Page Last Reviewed: 19 Feb 2015