The South Australian Research and Development Institute (SARDI) is the State Government’s principal research institute.
SARDI has provided its stakeholders with innovative, world-leading research and development solutions for more than 25 years.
Our multi-disciplinary approach is organised into dedicated science programs in 4 key research divisions:
In a new strategy for 2018-2023, SARDI has outlined a research plan to grow the state’s billion-dollar agriculture, food and wine industries and increase the sector’s international competitiveness.
The plan outlines a clear strategic direction to guide science investment and delivery, as well as shape SARDI’s role in years ahead.
The initial focus is on:
- setting up a greater commercialisation capability and ethos
- working with industry to identify and develop priorities and bring about practice change
- building even stronger global connections to capitalise on emerging trends
- better understanding and developing SARDI’s potential revenue streams and investment portfolio
- defining the role of the modern SARDI in the current global environment and as a consequence the in-house capabilities and collaboration partners needed.
SARDI embarked on a new era following an independent review conducted in 2016.
In response to the review findings, the following key actions were implemented in 2017:
- new leadership through the recruitment of a new executive director
- expert advice and the establishment of a reference group
- long-term R&D with the development of a R&D action plan
- embedded commercialisation associated with R&D activities.
We address the following priorities for primary industries:
- marine and fresh-water resource management, including wild fisheries and aquaculture
- new crop varieties and production technologies
- food safety and innovation
- sustainable use of resources
- adaptation to climate variability in regional South Australia
- innovation capability and enabling technologies
- animal health and welfare.
Our people are highly skilled, experienced and passionate about their work.
They pursue innovative research and practical solutions for our state’s primary industries.
Many SARDI scientists have produced groundbreaking research and are considered world leaders in their field.
Our research benefits from collaborations with key industries, primary producers, numerous research institutions and other organisations.
We have a comprehensive range of expertise, technical knowledge and services.
- scientific excellence
- progressive, economic and technologically advanced methodologies
- a contemporary outlook to which embrace technology and flexible approaches to meet client needs
- a collaborative spirit
- accuracy and timeliness
- courage and humility
- professional and ethical standards
- care for people and the environment.
We have an extensive network of research centres, laboratories and field sites across the state.
Our people and collaborators benefit from our modern and advanced research centres and related infrastructure and resources.