The Fishcare Volunteer program was established in 1994 to raise awareness among fishing communities of the need to protect and preserve our resources for future generations.
Fishcare Volunteers raise awareness in the fishing community about:
of our fishing resources.
What they do
Fishcare Volunteers help with fishing education programs.
Their tasks include:
- giving advice and assistance to the public
- educating recreational fishers about South Australian fishing rules and regulations
- handing out fisheries information brochures and educational devices
- attending community events throughout the state.
Where they work
Fishcare Volunteers are found in:
- metropolitan Adelaide
- the Riverland
- Port Lincoln
- Yorke Peninsula
- Victor Harbor
- Limestone Coast.
You’ll find them at jetties, beaches, boat ramps and rivers – anywhere that fishing takes place.
Become a Fishcare Volunteer
Anyone over the age of 18 can become a Fishcare Volunteer. All you need is an interest in conserving our fisheries resources and to be willing to help provide information to the fishing public.
Once your application is received you may be invited to have a brief face-to-face meeting. Successful candidates will then attend a single day training course to increase their knowledge and awareness of the Fishcare Program and of recreational fishing issues. Training courses are usually held over the weekend. Interviews and courses are conducted as the need arises.
Fishcare Volunteers are encouraged to work as often as they like, but a minimum of 50 hours per year is requested.
Uniforms for successful candidates include:
- identification badge
- waterproof jacket
The uniform is marked with the Fishcare logos to make them easily recognisable.
Meet the Fishcare Volunteers
Come and chat with our Fishcare Volunteers at one of the following events:
- Royal Adelaide Show 30 August - 8 September
- Riverland Field days 13 –14 September 2019
- Tennyson Dunes Open Day 22 September
- Yorke Peninsula Field days (Paskerville) 24 – 26 September
- Yankalilla Show 5 October
- Strathalbyn Show 7 October
- Port Elliot Show 12 – 13
- Purnong Water Regatta and Floatfest 19 – 20
- 4WD Adventure Show 25 October
- Callington Show 27 October
If you would like to become a Fishcare Volunteer or want to know more about the program, contact:
Fishcare Volunteer Coordinator
Primary Industries and Regions South Australia
PO Box 1169
North Haven SA 5018
Phone: (08) 8169 0118