The South Australian Aquatic Sciences Centre (SAASC) is a purpose-built marine and freshwater research facility.
The centre is home to the Aquatic Sciences research division of the South Australian Research and Development Institute (SARDI).
The SAASC is one of the most comprehensive research facilities of its kind in Australia.
The SAASC Capability Statement () provides detailed information about the:
- Culture, holding and research of aquatic organisms (e.g. Algal Aquaculture Production Room and raceways, Fish and Shellfish hatcheries, Aquarium Room, Pool Farm and Controlled Environment rooms)
- Analysis of samples (e.g. Algae and Biofuels Facility laboratories and Environmental Chemistry Laboratory)
- Extension facilities available (e.g. lecture theatre, conference rooms, meeting rooms and library).
- Off-site facilities:
- South Australian Aquatic Biosecurity Centre (SAABC at Roseworthy Campus).
- Lincoln Marine Science Centre (located at Boston Bay, Port Lincoln).
- Aquatic Sciences Mount Gambier.
- Fleet of research vessels, including 25 metre RV Ngerin.
- North Arm Store.
Our Aquatic Sciences Summer Scholarships take place at the SAASC.
Southern Australian Integrated Marine Observing System (SAIMOS)
SARDI leads the National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS) Southern Australian Integrated Marine Observing System (SAIMOS).
Through the Oceanography sub-program, shelf data streams are collected for the national observing system (IMOS).
Algae and Biofuel Facility
The NCRIS Algae and Biofuel Facility produces biomass from microalgae and macroalgae at pilot and commercial scales for the production of:
- stock feeds
It provides a comprehensive analytical capability for evaluating algae, their environment and some of their products.
Aquarium Room and Pool Farm
The Aquarium Room and Pool Farm are supplied with seawater and freshwater, at ambient and controlled temperatures, respectively, for inland waters, estuarine and marine research. They provide differing aquarium / tank capacities and environments and are available to:
- marine and aquaculture industries
- partners of the Marine Innovations SA initiative (MISA) initiative
South Australian Aquatic Sciences Centre Library
The library houses the most comprehensive collection of specialist aquatic sciences literature in South Australia.
Information is available on a diverse range of marine and freshwater flora and fauna, including their:
SARDI publications are available from the library including:
- scientific papers
- technical reports
- short communications and consultancies
- books and theses
- conference and seminar proceedings.
SARDI Research Report Series publications are also available including stock assessment reports.
South Australian Aquatic Sciences Centre (SAASC)
2 Hamra Ave, West Beach, SA 5024
Telephone: (08) 8207 5400
Fax: (08) 8207 5415
Postal address: PO Box 120, Henley Beach, SA 5024