Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA) personnel and collaborators must apply for animal ethics approval if their work includes animal interventions beyond routine animal husbandry procedures.
- decide if you need to lodge an application
- compile your application.
Before you start your application, ensure you are familiar with the:
- Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes
- principles for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes.
Deadlines for application submissions
If you miss a submission deadline, we will hold your application until the next round.
- Email your application to us at PIRSA.AnimalEthics@sa.gov.au
- You may also post additional signed copies to us.
- 3 February 2020
- 23 March 2020
- 29 June 2020
- 27 July 2020
- 14 September 2020
- 23 November 2020
- 25 February 2020
- 14 April 2020
- 21 July 2020
- 18 August 2020
- 6 October 2020
- 15 December 2020
In line with PIRSA policy on service cost recovery, an application fee applies to each submission the PIRSA AEC reviews.
Fees for 2020/2021 effective from 1 July 2020:
- Internal (PIRSA/SARDI) $431
- External bodies (universities, private companies, etc) $646 +GST
- Download the animal ethics approval and clearance application form from the DEW website.
- Payment Advice Form ( or )
The PIRSA AEC will only review complete applications that provide them with sufficient information to make a decision.
Please include the following documents and information in your submission to the PIRSA AEC:
- A completed application form signed by all parties.
- A completed Payment Advice Form.
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Word format if possible.
If you have any questions about the PIRSA AEC please contact us:
PIRSA Animal Ethics Committee
JS Davies Building, Roseworthy Campus, SA 5371
Phone: (08) 8313 7665
Fax: (08) 8313 7689