Apply for animal ethics approval
Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA) personnel and collaborators must apply for animal ethics approval if their work includes animal interventions beyond routine animal husbandry procedures.
- decide if you need to lodge an application
- compile your application.
Before you start your application, ensure you are familiar with the:
- Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes
- principles for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes.
Deadlines for application submissions
If you miss a submission deadline, we will hold your application until the next round.
- Email your application to us at PIRSA.AnimalEthics@sa.gov.au
- You may also post additional signed copies to us.
- 3 February 2020
- 23 March 2020
- 29 June 2020
- 27 July 2020
- 14 September 2020
- 23 November 2020
- 25 February 2020
- 14 April 2020
- 21 July 2020
- 18 August 2020
- 6 October 2020
- 15 December 2020
In line with PIRSA policy on service cost recovery, an application fee applies to each submission the PIRSA AEC reviews.
Fees for 2020/2021 effective from 1 July 2020:
- Internal (PIRSA/SARDI) $431
- External bodies (universities, private companies, etc) $646 +GST
- Download the animal ethics approval and clearance application form from the DEW website.
- Payment Advice Form ( or )
The PIRSA AEC will only review complete applications that provide them with sufficient information to make a decision.
Please include the following documents and information in your submission to the PIRSA AEC:
- A completed application form signed by all parties.
- A completed Payment Advice Form.
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Word format if possible.
If you have any questions about the PIRSA AEC please contact us:
PIRSA Animal Ethics Committee
JS Davies Building, Roseworthy Campus, SA 5371
Phone: (08) 8313 7665
Fax: (08) 8313 7689